Town of the region Campania, near the river Volturno, at the foot of the Mount Tifata. It developed around the Royal Palace built from 1752 by the architect Luigi Vanvitelli entrusted by the Bourbons of Naples.
The city was called "New Caserta" while the "Old Caserta" (Casa Hirta), founded by Longobards in the VIII century, was located on the Mount Virgo. Nowadays Caserta is very famous for the Royal Palace, inspired from the Royal Palace of Versailles, with a monumental white marble staircase and an enchanting and vast Park where it's possible admire waterfalls, fountains like the Fountain of Diana and Atteone, the Fountain of Venere, the Fountain of the Dolphins, and the English Garden, the ideal place for a romantic walk.
The most important monuments in Old Caserta, a characteristic medieval village, are, on the contrary, the Cathedral, consecrated in the 1153, the rests of a castle of the IX century and the gothic Church of the Annunziata (XIV century).